Set up your Microsoft 365 Exchange Online mailbox in Apple Mail for macOS
Last updated on: 2020-08-24
Authored by: Allison Battles
- Applies to: User
- Difficulty: Easy
- Time needed: Five Minutes for the initial configuration. Sync time varies based on mailbox size and network speed.
- Tools required: Microsoft Office 365® email address and password (Exchange Online licensing), macOS® desktop device, and an active network connection
For additional information about Microsoft 365 licensing, see our Product Comparison Chart.
For more information about prerequisite terminology, see Cloud Office support terminology.
This article describes how to set up your Office 365 Exchange Online mailbox in the Apple Mail client for the first time.
Note: If you are unsure whether your license includes Exchange Online, contact your administrator.
Configure your Microsoft 365 mailbox within Apple Mail for macOS
Use the following steps to configure your Microsoft 365 Exchange Online mailbox in the Apple Mail® desktop client:
Open Apple Mail.
Click Mail in the top left corner and select Add Account.
Select Exchange and click Continue.
Enter your display name and your Microsoft 365 email address. Then, click Sign In.
When prompted to Sign in to your Exchange account using Microsoft, click Sign In.
Enter in your password and click Sign In.
Helpful tips when using the Apple Mail desktop application
Compose a new message:
In Apple Mail, click the New Message icon.
After you write a message, select the Send icon.
Reply and Forward:
- Select the message you want to reply to and choose one of the following options:
- Reply - Compose a message and send it to only the original sender.
- Reply All - Compose a message and send it to the sender and all recipients of the message (including carbon-copied recipients).
- Forward – Compose a forwarded copy of a message to send to another recipient or group.
- After you write the message, click the Send icon.
Add an email signature:
In Apple Mail, click Mail and select Preferences->Signatures.
Select the email account for which you want to create the signature from the left-hand column.
Click the + sign and assign a name to your signature.
Compose your signature in the right-hand column and close the menu when you finish.