Pillars of the Rackspace monitoring solution
Last updated on: 2020-11-27
Rackspace offers its monitoring solution through three pillar products:
Rackspace Monitoring, Rackspace Metrics, and Rackspace Intelligence—the MMI
products. Through seamless integration, the MMI products enable customers to
improve system performance and availability through a single pane of
glass and an enterprise-grade platform.
- Rackspace Monitoring offers reliable data gathering and accurate alert
generation. For details, see the following concepts section.
- Rackspace Metrics provides economical and reliable data storage at scale.
For details, see the Rackspace Metrics overview.
- Rackspace Intelligence delivers an intuitive interface that gives users a transparent view into
their infrastructure health along with actionable insights. For details, see the
Rackspace Intelligence Introduction.
The following diagram illustrates the key concepts of the Rackspace Monitoring product.
- Entities represent any object or resource, often used when referring to
servers. You can create entities, which can be servers or non-server
objects, through the UI, API, or CLI. As you create new
cloud servers, cloud databases, or dedicated devices, entities are created
automatically. For more information, see the API operations reference for the
- Checks return a group of related metrics of an entity. Checks of different
types return different sets of metrics that help you figure out how to collect
the data you want. For a complete list of check types, see the
Check types documentation.
- Alarms contain the rules that determine the state of an alarm as OK, WARNING,
or CRITICAL. The state change of an alarm triggers an alert. For details of the alarm,
see Alert Triggering and Alarms.
- Notifications and Notification plans describe how Rackspace Monitoring
sends alerts to you when an alarm state changes.
Each notification specifies two things: to whom the alert should be sent
(the target) and how it should be delivered (the type). For a complete list
of notification types, see the Notification types article.
Note: A notification plan is a group of notifications used by alarms.
For other terms and concepts in Rackspace Monitoring, see Monitoring key terms and concepts.
©2020 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER