How to use Journey Builder at B2B companies
Many business-to-business (B2B) companies know they need marketing automation to stay relevant and reduce workload. However, they do not always know which tools they need or how to use these tools to drive transformative business value.
Salesforce® Journey Builder is a Marketing Cloud feature that integrates with your Sales Cloud and Service Cloud. Although Journey Builder is often associated with strategies for abandoned carts and Business to customer (B2C) companies, having used this tool for the past six years, I have seen how powerful it can be for B2B companies.
This blog explains how you can use Journey Builder to streamline the customer experience and internal processes at your B2B company.
What is Journey Builder and how does it work?
Journey Builder is a feature of the Salesforce Marketing Cloud. It helps companies engage with their customers at every step along the path from lead to loyalty. While B2B companies often choose Pardot for their needs, I have seen how effective Journey Builder —and Marketing Cloud as a whole— can be for B2B companies.
Journey Builder tracks the behavior of each lead and includes your marketing, accounting, sales, and customer service teams in lead monitoring. Nearly anything a lead does, from downloading a whitepaper to logging a service request, can update the lead’s data and trigger the next appropriate touchpoint. Tracking this information gives your company greater visibility into customer activity and helps you make decisions with real-time information. As a result, your teams are better able to sell to leads, and your customers enjoy a better experience, wherever they are on the buyer’s journey.
Journey Builder is part of the Salesforce suite and integrates with other Salesforce products, like Sales Cloud and Service Cloud. So all your data is stored in one centralized location, providing a seamless experience for your employees and customers. It also boosts internal productivity, because your teams can work in other Salesforce products using the Journey Builder tool.
How can your B2B company use Journey Builder?
These are a few of the many ways B2B companies in a wide range of industries can use Journey Builder to boost Return on investment (ROI).
Optimize Leads and Opportunities
Journey Builder helps your company make the most of the leads and opportunities without requiring more time from your sales team. For example, if a lead hasn’t changed status after 30 days, Journey Builder can automatically add them to a nurture campaign and send them personalized content based on their behavior. You can also use the tool to update lead status. For instance, you might decide that any lead who engages with a specific link in one of your nurture emails converts to a contact with an opportunity in Sales Cloud.
Automating these actions with Journey Builder saves your sales team effort and ensures they can spend their time on the leads most likely to convert.
Automate simple communications
Journey Builder can use data from any standard or custom object that has a lookup relationship to your leads and contacts.
So you can use Journey Builder to:
- Replace sales calls with automated surveys from lost opportunities.
- Send upcoming renewal reminders for customer subscriptions.
- Notify customers to upgrade to your latest product and more.
Leveraging Journey Builder for these tasks ensures that your consumers get timely notifications and updates while allowing your sales and service employees to focus on more intensive tasks.
Manage partner relationships
Journey Builder can help with onboarding partners and wholesalers. You can set up an automated journey for all new partners, easily providing them with introductions, media kits, and anything else they need to make the partnership successful.
Create drip campaigns
Use Journey Builder to create a drip campaign and strategically extend your new product announcement over one to two weeks instead of sending a single manual email. This strategy likely drives more interest among your customers as well as provide information about engagement with your emails. Journey Builder provides statistics and updates at every step, so you can easily conduct reporting and continually use this data to inform your marketing strategy.
Improve internal processes
Journey Builder not only helps boost your customer experience—it can also streamline workflows for your internal teams.
- Reduce workloads. Replace the repetitive tasks performed by your sales and marketing teams, like manually sending emails with automated processes.
- Update leads. Ensure better data hygiene and more accurate customer information.
- Support your sales team. Send users progress update emails on behalf of the sales team when they are close to reaching their targets.
- Assign tasks on time. Automatically assign a salesperson to a lead based on their activity —for example, if a lead reads your whitepaper.
With so many diverse use cases, Journey Builder is a powerful tool for B2B companies that have a solid foundation in place.
Getting the most out of Journey Builder
You need more than just the technology to take full advantage of Journey Builder at your B2B company. Although Marketing Cloud implementation is essential to using Journey Builder, your marketing strategy ultimately determines your success with this tool.
Defining buyer personas ensures you have a sound understanding of your target customers. You can then use these profiles to create workflows for the different buyer’s journeys to make sure you provide leads with the right messaging, at the right time—which is the exact goal of using Journey Builder.
As a full-service Salesforce Platinum Consulting Partner and digital agency, Rackspace can help your B2B company implement Marketing Cloud and get the best ongoing results from Journey Builder. Contact our team of technology experts and marketing specialists to get started today.
Optimize your environment with expert administration, management, and configuration
- eCommerce and Digital Experience platforms
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Business Intelligence
- Salesforce Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Email Hosting and Productivity
- Unbiased expertise: We simplify and guide your modernization journey, focusing on the capabilities that deliver immediate value.
- Fanatical Experience™: We combine a process first, technology second approach with dedicated technical support to provide comprehensive solutions.
- Unrivaled portfolio: We apply extensive cloud experience to help you choose and deploy the right technology on the right cloud.
- Agile delivery: We meet you where you are in your journey and align our success with yours.
Chat now to get started.